Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua is back in the news with another ambitious project… this time not a Formula 1 track or a state of the art Stadium, but something bigger.
Yesterday, the governor launched ‘MACHAWOOD’ – Machakos Entertainment Center for Film, Media, Music and the Arts.
He expects this new initiative to generate 30,000 new jobs and Sh 500 million to Machakos County government in the next one year.
He says the Center’s main mandate is to make Machakos County the premier location for entertainment in Africa, and hopes it will promote and attract filmmakers, musicians, artists and media so as to grow the industry.
He revealed that it should be functioning by December 31st.
50 acres of land have been set aside for MACHAWOOD, and Sh 60 million allocated to the project this financial year.
The board includes recognized names in Kenyan media, like Daniel Ndambuki (Churchill) and Caroline Mutoko.
1. Peter M. Mutie – Chairperson (Former CEO of Kenya Film Commission)
3. Ms. Kentice Tikolo (The current Chair of Public Relations Society of Kenya)
3. Stevens Muendo (Pulse Magazine editor)
4. Ms. Angela Ng’ang’a (Corporate Affairs Director at Telkom)
5. Mr. Kennedy Wambua Ngunze “Ken wa Maria” (Renowned Kamba musician and Chair of local musicians in Kenya)
6. Katua Nzile – CEO and Secretary (One of Kenya’s leading TV Managers and Producers)
7. Victor Mwalakha Mwenya Muniafu (Chair of the Kenya Film and TV Professional Association)
Here are some photos of the launch yesterday.