Dar es Salaam’s highly anticipate Bus Rapid Transit System, referred to as DART, commenced operations this week.

For 2 days, commuters in the city will enjoy free unlimited transport. Charges will then be capped at TSh800 , approximately KSh40 per trip.

There is an electronic payment system and thus commuters will need special cards. The buses will operate 19 hours everyday from 5 am. Traffic jam will not be an issue since a designated bus lane has already been built. Several new terminals have also been put up.

The government owns a minority 49% stake, with a private entity owning the remaining 51%.

Here are some pics.

dar1

dar2

dar3

dar4

dar5

dar6

dar7

dar8

dar9

dar10

dar11

dar12

dar13

Commuters will be required to have a card like this one.
dar15

Lanes people, Lanes! 

Motorists will need some discipline keeping off designated bus lanes.
dar16

dar17

dar18