Lands Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) Kimani Ngunjiri has told his side of the story over the Monday incident in which he allegedly shot and injured a man during an altercation over a land dispute in Bahati.

Eyewitnesses said Ngunjiri was involved in an altercation with a section of residents of Ampiva area at the Solai Ndungiri Farm in Subukia, Nakuru County. He reportedly fired thrice during the confrontation, hitting one Lucas Onyango on the hand.

A video going viral online shows the moment the former Bahati MP opened fire as an unidentified man appeared to be raising an axe at him.

With investigations still ongoing, CAS Ngunjiri released a statement indicating that he was acting in self-defense.

The controversial politician also claimed he is the rightful lessee of the disputed piece of land.

“Much had been said about today’s incident at my farm in Bahati. While the police are investigating the altercation that occurred, I state the following: I have leased the said parcel of land from Anthony Kanyiri starting 2018 to date. Before leasing, I did my due diligence from the lands office and validated the said documents to be true in line with leasing agreement we drafted in 2018.

He added: “I have constantly, without any dispute from anyone, cultivated that parcel annually to date on the said parcel of land. Today’s incident was as shocking to me as it was to everyone else and believe that it was premeditated. It beats any logical sense that over 50 people appear from nowhere with machetes and axes to attack me plus my workers. I was attacked and injured, received treatment at Bahati Sub-County hospital at Maili Kumi.

“While police conduct investigations, I urge the public to remain calm. Lastly I also urge the media to be responsible in reporting factual truths and not innuendos sponsored by certain individuals,” added the CAS.