Fridge Explosion Kills Woman in Eldoret, Son Hospitalised

January 11, 2019

A refrigerator explosion killed a woman in Eldoret and left her son hospitalised.

The 45-year-old woman died from apparent suffocation on Wednesday night after allegedly inhaling smoke from the fridge.

The deceased, identified as Susan Njoki, was asleep when the refrigerator exploded in her residential house in Mwanzo estate, Eldoret, Uasin Gishu County.

Two of the woman’s son escaped through a window with the help of neighbours. Efforts to rescue their mother were futile.

A neighbour observed that the deceased could have been rescued were it not for the rigid house doors.

“She raised the alarm but her house which was locked from inside was tough to break into as it had heavy metal grills. The rescue team gained access when it was too late,” said the neighbour.

Njoki was sleeping in a different room from the children when the fridge exploded at around 11 pm.

One of the children was admitted to the Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital (MTRH) for treatment.

Eldoret West police boss Zachariah Bittok said they have launched investigations.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don't Miss