A drinking competition between a group of revelers at a local bar in Malava sub-county, Kakamega county turned tragic following the death of a participant from apparent alcohol poisoning.

25-Year-Old Mufutu Nyongesa from Tande village reportedly died after drinking excessive amounts of alcohol on an empty stomach.

The deceased was drinking with friends at a local pub when they decided to have a competition on who could drink the most in the shortest time possible. The grand prize for the winner? More alcohol.

According to witnesses, Nyongesa gulped down two bottles of concentrated spirit before he started experiencing stomach problems.

Nyongesa’s wife, Anne Naliaka, said he had left home to check on his motorcycle at a repair shop but did not return as he had promised.

“He had asked me to cook ugali for supper but he didn’t show up. I felt bad, thinking he had decided to eat in a hotel. But later I received a phone call from someone saying he was vomiting and needed urgent medical attention,” said Naliaka.

She added: “His friends told me he drank two bottles of spirit that was not mixed with water or soda yet he had not eaten.”

Naliaka asked his friends to rush him to a nearby hospital but he succumbed on the way.

Confirming the incident, Malava Divisional Criminal Investigation Officer Yusuf Nzioka said the deceased was involved in a bet at a local bar.

“People must stop drinking, but if they must drink, let them do it responsibly. We have lost a man because he decided to play with alcohol. Eat well before drinking alcohol and also drink a reasonable amount,” he cautioned.

He further warned residents against participating in such competitions.