Gor Mahia Hooligans Badly Injure Sony Sugar Defender.. Almost Ending His Career

October 22, 2013
Andrew Waiswa – Sony Defender [Photo||Star]
Sony Sugar defender Andrew Waiswa is fighting for his life after he was savagely beaten up by rowdy Gor Mahia fans at the end of the GOtv semi final clash at Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani on Saturday.
Waiswa and goalkeeper Wycliffe Kasaya were taken to the Avenue hospital where Kasaya suffering head and back injuries was treated and discharged while Waiswa was admitted and kept under observation by doctors as he awaited further medical tests.
“Waiswa’s situation is serious. We were advised to take him to the Coptic hospital for a CT scan but the place was closed so we proceeded to the Nairobi hospital where tests have been done and the outcome is bleak,” said Sony coach Zedekiah “Zico” Otieno.
According to Otieno the doctor said the scan revealed multiple fractures to the skull and the player will need to see a specialist to ensure his situation does not deteriorate.
“It does not look good and all we can do now is to pray and hope his treatment goes well and he recovers sufficiently to return home to his family” a distraught Zico said.
It is not clear what sparked the wrath of the Gor fans leading to them storming the pitch despite the fact that that team had emerged 4-2 winners in post match penalty shootouts.
The fans attacked the Sony players and particularly seemed keen on causing bodily harm to Sony’s flamboyant custodian Kasaya as Gor’s Anthony Akumu and his teammates tried in vain to shield their opponents from the mob baying for their blood.
“Thank God for the loss. If we have been beaten like this by Gor fans what could have happened if we had won the match,” posed veteran Sony striker Marwa Chaberi.
The match ended goalless in regulation time after Gor winger Kevin Omondi’s penalty was saved by Kasaya in the 10th minute.
In the shootout k’Ogallo’s Tanzanian keeper Ivo Mapunda saved Charles Odette’s shot while Ben Basra skied his effort. Chaberi and Wycliffe Nyangechi scored fro Sony.
Bobby Williamson’s Gor converted all four of their spot kicks through Patrick Oboya, Omondi, youngster Timonah Wanyonyi and the winning penalty by David Owino.
The result means Gor have now reached three successive cup finals having won the last two GOtv shields and are still firmly on course for a historic league and cup double.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don't Miss