In the last few years, several retail supermarkets have found their way into the Kenyan economic hub, and their businesses have registered immense growth thanks to their convenience when it comes to shopping for household goods to digital accessories at an affordable price compared to ordinary shops.
The biggest supermarkets in Kenya include Naivas, Magunas, Carrefour, Quickmart, Cleanshelf, and Eastmatt. These big retail stores have several outlets countrywide, and this has created job opportunities for many people in Kenya.
Supermarkets mostly employ attendants, cashiers, and managers, who work jointly to ensure transactions are conducted conveniently.
Average Supermarket Attendant Salary in Kenya
Supermarkets attendants constitute the largest supermarket workforce. They are tasked to keep the shelves neat and restock them. The number of supermarket attendants depends on the size of the retail store, and their pay depends much on working hours. Working extra hours, especially on weekends and holidays, means more money.
How much does a supermarket attendant earn in Kenya? The average salary of these personnel ranges between Ksh15,000 to Ksh40,000, depending on supermarket and location.
Average Supermarket Cashier Salary in Kenya
Cashiers play a vital role in the supermarket. They are the people stationed in the checkout area who collect customers’ pay after finding out the prices of the goods they have picked from the supermarket shelves through a scanner.
For one to qualify to be a supermarket cashier in Kenya, a minimum of a KCSE certificate is required for small supermarkets and a diploma or a degree certificate in business-related courses for big retail stores like Carrefour.
How much does a supermarket cashier earn in Kenya? Although they are underpaid compared to the salary cap of bank cashiers, they take home pretty handsome salaries. The average salary of a supermarket cashier is around Ksh20,000 for starters and up to Ksh50,000 for experienced individuals.
How Much Does a Supermarket Manager Earn in Kenya?
A supermarket manager position is one of the lucrative jobs offered by retail stores. They are professionals responsible for recruiting staff, making orders of products, leading staff meetings, and ensuring the smooth running of the general businesses in the supermarkets.
What are the qualifications of a supermarket manager? A high school certificate is a minimum requirement, but a person with an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in any business course will be much considered. One must possess analytical thinking, good organizational and leadership skills, and be flexible to work under criticism and pressure.
There are two types of supermarket managers; branch managers and senior managers. Branch managers mostly oversee operations at the convenience stores while senior managers superintend over department stores.
How much does a supermarket manager earn in Kenya? Branch managers take home a salary of Ksh70,000 to Ksh200,000, while senior managers are remunerated with around Ksh400,000 and Ksh600,000.
Skills Required for a Supermarket Job in Kenya
Employability skills are important in all jobs. They promote self-assurance during an interview and even play a part in creating a good employer/employee relationship after landing the job. Skills help one to manage the job and cope with everything in their workspace. So what are the skills required for supermarket jobs such as attendants, cashiers, and managers?
Supermarket attendant skills
1. Positive attitude – maintaining calm when things go wrong
2. Communication – ability to listen and pass information correctly and politely with empathy
3. Self-drive – work under minimal supervision
4. Critical thinking – ability to make decisions and judgments wisely
5. Teamwork – corporate with other employees to enhance positive job results
6. Time management – be able to assist when customers require assistance
Supermarket cashier skills
1. Accuracy – ability to conduct initiate flawless transactions to avoid any loss
2. Integrity – honesty is paramount to ensure every payment made by customers is accounted for
3. Digital literacy – ability to operate scanners and computers and several gadgets used while at work
4. Communication – maintain etiquette while conversing with customers
5. Efficiency – conduct fast operations and serve customers on time
6. Ability to work under pressure with no supervision
Supermarket managers skills
1. Computer proficiency – ability to keep up with the current product tools in the market and to keep pace with the latest business trends
2. Abstract thinking – this skill aids in predicting possible negative outcomes and formulating ideas that will work against them
3. interpersonal skills – be able to note the capabilities of different employees and bring the best out of them
4. Planning – This is crucial as it helps managers to set achievable goals within the limits of resources such as money and time
5. Communication – effective communication help managers to share understandable information throughout the working team. This goes a long way in creating a unified workforce.
6. Time management – ability to create work schedules and ensure employees adhere to it
How Much is a Supermarket Cashier Paid in Kenya?
Supermarket cashiers with less than a year of work experience are paid Ksh20,000 to Ksh25,000. Cashiers with over 5 years of experience go home with a salary of Ksh35,000, while those with 6+ years of practice receive a salary of Ksh40,000.
How Much Does Carrefour Pay in Kenya?
The Majid Al Futtaim Group-owned supermarkets opened their first store in Kenya in May 2016. Now, the giant retailer, which operates in over 30 countries, has 14 outlets – ten in Nairobi, two in Kisumu, one in Diani, and another in Mombasa.
Carrefour is known for handsomely compensating its workers. Here is how Carrefour pays its employees each month:
* Supermarket attendants – Ksh20,000 to Ksh35,000
* Cashiers – Ksh25,000 to Ksh45,000
* Accountant – Ksh50,000 to Ksh90,000
* Supervisors – Ksh60,000 to Ksh100,000
* Branch Managers – over Ksh70,000
How Much Does Quickmart Pay?
Quickmart supermarket is a retail chain that was started in Nakuru by the late John Kinuthia (d. 2021) in 2006. It has grown and currently has 46 branches spread in over 12 counties in Kenya. The retailer explored the Nairobi market in 2010 when it opened its first outlet in Ruai.
How much does Quickmart pay attendants, cashiers, managers, and supervisors? Quickmart is popular for offering good employment terms and the best working environment. They remunerate their workers based on their position and experience of work. Quickmart revises the salaries of its workers once every two years.
Here are the salary scales of individuals working at Quickmart Supermarket.
* Security guards – Ksh12,000 to Ksh30,000
* Supermarket attendants – Ksh15,000 to Ksh40,000
* Cashiers – Ksh20,000 to Ksh60,000
* Supervisors – Ksh45,000 to Ksh100,000
* Branch managers – Ksh70,000 to Ksh300,000
* Senior managers – Ksh300,000 to Ksh500,000
How Much Does Naivas Pay?
Naivas Supermarket is the largest supermarket in Kenya, with 74 outlets countrywide. The huge retailer is headquartered in Sameer Business Park, Nairobi.
It was started in 1990 as Rongai Self Service Stores Limited by the late Peter Mukuha Kago (d. 2010), and it has undergone several re-branding processes to be named Naivas in 2007.
Its existence in the market for over 30 years has earned it the tag of the ‘most stable supermarket in Kenya.’
How much does Naivas pay its workers? Here is their salaries overview:
* Security officers – Ksh15,000 to Ksh25,000
* Supermarket attendants – Ksh15,000 to Ksh40,000
* Accountants – Ksh50,000 to Ksh150,000
* Cashiers – Ksh20,000 to Ksh50,000
* Supervisors – Ksh70,000 to Ksh110,000
* Branch managers – Ksh70,000 to Ksh200,000
* Senior managers – Ksh350,000 to Ksh600,000
How Much Does Magunas Pay?
Magunas Supermarket is owned by a Kenyan business magnate, Simon Wachira, a Murang’a native.
Wachira started as a hawker in the 1980s and went ahead to open his first shop called Maguna Andu Wholesalers, which has grown into a chain of retail stores located in Murang’a, Nyeri, Embu, Kahawa Wendani, Kitui, and Nairobi.
How much are Magunas employees paid? Here are the salaries of Magunas Supermarket staff:
* Supermarket attendants – Ksh15,000 to Ksh25,000
* Cashiers – Ksh20,000 to Ksh35,000
* Supervisors – Ksh30,000 to Ksh50,000
* Branch managers – ksh45,000 to Ksh90,000
* Managers – Ksh75,000 to Ksh145,000
Supermarket Working hours in Kenya
Many supermarkets in Kenya operate from 7 am to 9:30 pm. Meaning that the average working hours of a supermarket in Kenya is 14 hours a day (exclusive of meal breaks), from Monday to Friday.
They also open their doors on weekends and holidays, and the workers are differently compensated when they work on these days. Employees are also paid allowances for working overtime.