Nairobi gubernatorial independent candidate Peter Kenneth will not withdraw his candidature in favor of Jubilee candidate Mike Sonko.
The former Gatanga MP on Monday reiterated that he was the best suited for the city`s top job in the coming general election.
This is after President Uhuru last week Friday urged him to relinquish his bid and support senator Sonko.
“It is time to abandon your bid and support the winning team of Sonko-Igathe,” Uhuru said during a rally in Nairobi on Friday.
“Peter Kenneth, njoo tufanye kazi, kazi yako tuko nayo. Mji wa Nairobi wachia Mike Sonko ambaye watu walichagua.”
Speaking in Karen yesterday, Peter Kenneth urged the president to let the people decide who they want as their governor.
“I humbly requested the President to allow Nairobians a choice of competent leadership and ask him to allow Nairobians to decide who they want as their governor,” said Mr Kenneth.
He added that he was not “ready to step down and leave Nairobians to failed leadership without jobs, without water, without medicine, without hope. Paying heavily for the failed leadership of Governor Kidero and Senator Sonko.”
“I have walked all through and seen the troubles Nairobians are facing. It is evident that even Sonko cannot be a solution to these problems,” said Mr Kenneth while campaigning in Karen.
“One thing I am happy about is that even Uhuru has accepted that Kidero is a failure.”
Kenneth noted he has no problem with Uhuru campaigning for Jubilee candidates but said he should let people decide the leaders they want.
“As the party leader, he is allowed to carry his candidates around…but then governorship is not about party prestige…it is about service delivery to the people,”
Kenneth lost to Sonko in the Jubilee party primaries in April. The two will face incumbent ODM Governor Evans Kidero in the August 8 polls.