Ex-convict Suspected of Killing Greek National in Kilimani Arraigned in Court

December 14, 2022

An ex-convict suspected of killing a Greek national in Nairobi on October 15 this year was Tuesday arraigned at Milimani court.

Peter Waithaka alias Gikuyu appeared before Magistrate Bernard Ochoi where the prosecution made an application to have him remanded as they complete investigations.

The investigating officer, Police inspector Jacob Ndunda, informed the court that Waithaka was identified on CCTV footage while in the company of his accomplices’ robbing members of the public in broad daylight.

Waithaka is believed to be the leader of a three-man gang that has been terrorizing Nairobi residents in Kilimani, Lang’ata and environs.

Police believe the suspect and his two accomplices killed Greek national Alex Marcopaulo in October 2022.

Riding on a numberless motorbike, the gang reportedly accosted Marcopaulo at the Menelik /Ngong road junction and violently took away a rucksack that he was carrying before one of them then whipped out a pistol and shot the victim once on the right side of the chest.

In a separate incident on September 29, the gang reportedly accosted four Dutch tourists outside Silver Harbour apartment along Kindaruma road and violently robbed them of their mobile phones, cash, and pieces of jewelry before escaping towards Ngong road on a motorbike, whose plate numbers were concealed.

Ndunda also informed the court that Waithaka led detectives to his home in Wangige, Kiambu county, where exhibits related to the robbery incidents were recovered, including the clothes he wore during the robberies as captured on CCTV.

The court also heard that detectives have confiscated Waithaka’s cellphone, which will help in tracing him and his accomplices to the crime scenes.

While applying to have him remanded, Ndunda argued that Waithaka has neither learned nor changed. This after he was released in September last year after serving a 6-year sentence for a similar offence.

Police however said Waithaka has been cooperative and has offered to provide any information leading to the arrest of his accomplices.

Waithaka on his part said that while being arrested on Friday in Kaloleni, Makongeni, police took $3,107 from him. He said he wants the money given to his family.

Magistrate Bernard Ochoi remanded the suspect for 14 days, during which time investigators are expected to complete investigations.

The case will be mentioned on January 3.

Don't Miss