What DP Ruto Told Father of Boy, 6, Killed in Motorcade

June 10, 2019
William Ruto during a tour of Busia County on Friday.

DP Ruto has condoled with the family of a 6-year-old boy who died after he was hit by a car carrying the Deputy President’s Press Service in Busia County last Friday.

Sidney Mambala Felix was a Grade One pupil at Fenape Junior Academy in Budalang’i. His father Felix Mambala said he received a call from the DP on Friday through Busia Base commandant Jared Gitau.

“The Deputy President told me to take heart, assuring me of his support, including taking care of all funeral arrangements. He told me he was sorry for the loss of my child but it is painful. I’m at pains with this loss because I was striving to ensure that Sydney also becomes like him (Ruto),” said the father of two.

DP Ruto also took to his Twitter account to condole with the family of Mambala, his peers and friends.

“Saddened by the news of the passing on of Sidney Mambala Felix, a young and bubbly boy. Followed closely the situation after I was informed of the unfortunate incident and, now, deeply condole with the family of Mzee Mambala, his peers and friends for the grave loss of a loved one,” Ruto tweeted.

Adding, “I have spoken with mzee to pass my consideration and assured the family of reference and support during this difficult time. May God rest young Sidney in eternal peace.”


On that fateful day, the boy was in a jovial mood and eager to see the Deputy President Ruto for the first time, the father said.

“He was a very jovial boy who loved to interact with people. Whenever he came from school the first thing was to report that he is back. He was very respectful and obedient and that could be seen by the way he addressed elders,” said Mambala.

They were part of a crowd that turned up at St Benedict Budalang’i High School to receive Ruto when he attended the school’s annual general meeting.

A car belonging to DP’s press team hit the boy a few metres from the venue after Ruto had left for Kingandole Secondary in Butula Constituency for his final rally via his chopper.

The boy had positioned himself strategically about 40 metres away from the chopper to witness Ruto leave. He, however, got scared by the sound of the propellers and decided to run across the road oblivious of Ruto’s motorcade.


The minor was rushed to Port Victoria Sub-county Hospital where doctors referred him to the county hospital. He was pronounced dead at about 10 pm on Friday.

Dr Hillary Kiplaga, who conducted the autopsy, said the boy succumbed to respiratory failure.

“He had massive bleeding in the left lung with evidence of convulsions which led to respiratory failure. He also had bleeding in the right ear and the mouth.”

He also had several bruises and friction burns on the upper and lower limps, bone fractures in the limps and scalp injuries, the doctor said.

Senior officials from the office of DP spent a better part of Sunday with the bereaved family.

“He[Ruto] has sent me alongside the secretary in charge of administration in his office Abdul Mwasera to stand with the family and to assure them of his support. He has ordered the police to conduct thorough investigations into what caused the accident,” said Ruto’s Deputy Communication Director, Emmanuel Talam.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Don't Miss