Mukosi village in Kimilili constituency, Bungoma has lost a middle-aged resident who died after consuming excessive alcohol in a drinking competition.
The 28-year-old man whose identity is yet to be revealed died from apparent alcohol poisoning after participating in the competition on Sunday night. He was among tens of villagers who gathered at a local drinking den for binge drinking.
Participants of the drinking competition were presented with five liters of local illicit brew ‘Chang’aa’, with the winner walking away Sh1,000 richer and 5 litres drunker.
The deceased emerged winner but collapsed almost immediately after the competition.
A village elder, Margaret Waswa, said the man was taken home to sleep by some of the revellers who thought he was just passed out drunk.
It was not until Monday morning that the man was confirmed dead, with his body being moved to Kiminini Funeral Home in Trans Nzoia County.
Area police officers handling the matter said they have launched a crackdown to arrest those involved in the sale of the illicit brew.