Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua yesterday presided over the media launch of the inaugural Tour de Machakos bicycle racing competition.
The two-day race event (18-19th October) has 8 categories namely: Elite, Junior (under 19 years), Family fun, Veterans (over 40 years), Corporate, Media, Ladies and Black Mamba.
The first day’s race will start at Machakos People’s Park to Kathiani and back while the second day’s starts at Masii to Kithimani through the Makutano ma Mwala–Kithimani Road and back.
The awards for the elite category will be:
· Overall winner Ksh. 250,000, an iPad, Safaricom airtime worth Ksh.1,000 and a Tour de Machakos t-shirt
· Overall number 2 Ksh. 100,000, Safaricom airtime worth Ksh. 500 and a Tour de Machakos t-shirt
· Overall number 3 Ksh.50,000, Safaricom airtime worth Ksh.250 and a Tour de Machakos t-shirt.
The winners for day one and two will receive:
· Number one Ksh100,000, Ksh 1000 Safaricom airtime and a tour de Machakos t-shirt
· Number two Ksh 50,000, Safaricom airtime worth Ksh.500 and a Tour de Machakos t-shirt.
· Number three Ksh 20,000, Ksh 250 Safaricom airtime and a Tour de Machakos t-shirt
The Black Mamba category awards will be:
· Number one Ksh 100,000, a new black mamba bicycle, Safaricom airtime worth Ksh.1000 and Tour de Machakos t-shirt
· Number two Ksh.70,000
· Number three Ksh.50,000
· Number four Ksh. 30,000
· Number five Ksh.20,000
· Number six Ksh.15,000
· Number seven Ksh.10,000
· Number eight Ksh. 7,000
· Number nine Ksh. 5,000
· Number ten Ksh. 3,000
· Number Eleven to fifteen Ksh. 1,000
There will be a camp site as well as music extravaganza at Masii on Sunday.
Info by Alfred Mutua
Here are photos.