The Cabinet Secretary for Sports in Kenya Amina Mohamed on Sunday defended her performance at the ministry following scrutiny from Kenyans on social media last week.
Ms Amina came under fire after reports that Kenya’s female netball team had been stranded in South Africa where they’d gone to participate in the 2019 Africa Netball Championship in Cape Town.
Speaking during to journalists at the Stanchart Marathon on Sunday, Amina denied sleeping on the job and further asserted that her integrity is intact.
“We worked very hard to ensure that they (netball team) were able to travel,” she said.
“If there is a story out there that is negative and that is not correct, we will take action. Today (Sunday) there is another story and we’ll take action again…you can’t continue doing wrong to an institution or an individual, it doesn’t work.”
Amina also challenged her naysayers to attack her saying that she has nothing to prove as her integrity is intact.
“I want to say this: I don’t have to prove anything as Amina Mohamed. I have nothing to prove. I have been in government for 35 years now and I’ve never stolen a penny, my integrity stays intact, try and attack me on that and you’ll get nowhere.”
The former Foreign Affairs Cabinet Secretary said she has been at the forefront in tackling the teething issues at the ministry citing her strong involvement with Kenya’s teams at the 2019 Africa Games in Morocco and the IAAF World Athletics Championships held in Doha.
“We supported the team that went to Morocco, we supported the team that went to Doha and I was there myself. I met with them severally in their camps. We were number two (in Doha) and that is what we should be celebrating-– that we’re a sporting nation like no other in the continent,” she said.
Amina also extended an olive branch to her critics saying the ministry is open to scrutiny and engagement.
“Our doors are open; the PS is accessible and I’m accessible,” she concluded.