The council of governors has dismissed a new report by UK-based research firm ranking best and worst-performing county bosses.
In a statement published in local dailies on Thursday, COG chair Wycliffe Oparanya said authors of the report failed to meet the required standards in conducting the research.
“We would like to clarify that to date, the council of governors and counties in general did not receive the alleged questionnaire,” the statement reads in part.
According to COG, the UK firm All Africa Advisory (AAA) did not comply with the requisite legal procedures, hence the ranking is a “political strategy meant to malign their leadership in counties”.
The governors further argued that the performance of counties cannot be compared as each county is unique in terms of the kind of milestones achieved and the challenges faced.
The council is now demanding an ‘unequivocal apology’ from the agency failure to which it will seek legal redress.
In the report released on Wednesday, Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua was the best former followed by Wycliffe Oparanya (Kakamega) in second and Nairobi’s Mike Sonko.
Kiambu Governor Ferdinand Waititu of Kiambu County was ranked the worst performing governor followed by Cyprian Awiti of Homabay and Sospeter Ojamong of Busia County.
The survey was reportedly conducted between June and August this year and sampled 1,401 respondents across 47 counties.
List of the full ranking:
- Alfred Mutua – Machakos County
- Wycliffe Oparanya – Kakamega
- Mike Sonko – Nairobi county
- Kivutha Kibwana – Makueni county
- Hassan Joho – Mombasa
- Muthomi Njuki – Tharaka Nithi
- Okoth Obado – Migori
- James Ongwae – Kisii
- Joseph Ole Lenku – Kajiado
- Paul Chepkwony – Kericho
- Salim Mvurya Mgala – Kwale
- Charity Ngilu – Kitui
- Granton Samboja – Taita Taveta
- Jackson Mandago – Uasin Gishu
- Josphat Nanok – Turkana
- Edward Kahiga – Nyeri
- Lee Kinyanjui – Nakuru
- Mohammed Abdi Mahamud – Wajir
- Ali Roba – Mandera
- Anyang’ Nyong’o – Kisumu
- Alex Tolgos – Elgeyo Marakwet
- Ndiritu Muriithi – Laikipia
- Stanley Kiptis – Baringo
- Samuel Ole Tunal – Narok
- Mohammud Ali – Marsabit
- Mwangi Wa Iria – Murang’a
- Late Joyce Labose – Bomet
- Francis Kimemia – Nyandarua
- Anne Mumbi – Kirinyaga
- John Lonyangapuo – West Pokot
- Mohamed Kuti – Isiolo
- Moses Kasainie Lenolkulal – Samburu
- Patrick Khaemba – Trans Nzoia
- Kiraitu Murungi – Meru
- Stephen Sang – Nandi
- Dhadho Godhana – Tana River
- Wilber Ottichillo – Vihiga
- Ali Korane – Garissa
- Wycliffe Wangamati – Bungoma
- Cornel Rasanga – Siaya
- Martin Wambora – Embu
- John Nyagarama – Nyamira
- Amason Kingi – Kilifi
- Fahim Twaha – Lamu
- Sospeter Ojaamong – Busia
- Cyprian Awiti – Homa Bay
- Ferdinand Waititu – Kiambu