More than 40 people fell ill and one person died from food poisoning and cholera after attending a wedding last weekend.
Reports indicate that at least 10 guests and family members are currently admitted in various hospitals in Nairobi after they tested positive for cholera. As of Wednesday, three had been admitted at Mater Hospital, three at Mama Lucy Hospital and four at the Kenyatta National Hospital.
The newlyweds, Wilson Wamunyu and his bride Sarah survived the scare and flew for their honeymoon in Dubai immediately after the wedding held at Post Bank Grounds on Kiambu Road in Nairobi on Saturday.
The groom’s brother, Samson Mathu, said their 89-year-old grandfather, Wamunyu Wilson, died on Tuesday at Mt Kenya Hospital.
He said the food was supplied by Hot Dishes, a Nairobi-based restaurant with outdoor catering services. “We have written to the food supplier to demand answers,” Mathu said.
The food – for a total of 450 guests – consisted of vegetable salad, mixed vegetables, vegetable rice, beef, mukimo, njahi, rice and chapati among other dishes all at Sh184,000.
The high table was reportedly served chicken and icecream.
“Most of the guests who complained have sought medical attention and a good number have been admitted in hospital after testing positive for cholera,” said Steve Kiruhi, in a letter to Hot Dishes.
Hot Dishes Director Salome Mwangi said she could not comment as she was attending the burial of a staff.
Nairobi county director of Health Lucina Koyio has warned city dwellers to remain on high alert for cholera outbreaks.
“The county is experiencing a wave of cholera outbreak which was confirmed March 20. In this regard, I am requesting all referral hospitals to reactivate their cholera treatment units to prevent the spread of the disease,” Dr Koyio said.