DJ Nyc is a fast-rising Kenyan female disc jockey from Thika who is based at Radio Jambo.
In a quick-fire interview with Pulse magazine, DJ Nyc revealed some little-known details about herself.
1. What is your weakest point?
I am too nice to people who don’t deserve it.
2. What part of your body are you most likely to show off?
I’m from Thika, so, thighs.
3. What is the lamest pick-up line a guy has ever used on you?
Hey Miss Deejay, did you just fall down from heaven with your mixes?
4. Heels or sneakers?
Sneakers any day. My work involves lots of movement so funky kicks work for me.
5. What was your most embarrassing moment on stage?
There’s a day I was playing at an event and the MC handed me the microphone. I got too nervous to say anything while the whole crowd stared at my face turning grim red. I wanted the grounds to open up.
6. Mothers union or…?
Surely, didn’t all mother’s union stables close shop?
7. Would you hit on a girl?
That’s freaky, but I’m not that crazy.
8. What is your most memorable moment while on a date?
There’s this time I was meeting a guy for the first time on a dinner date. We did Indian cuisine and I unknowingly put extra pepper in my food. I couldn’t control my tears yet I was too hungry to stop eating.
9. Have you ever found yourself in the wrong bed?
Yes I have, but gladly I roll with my girls and we hurriedly fixed the situation.
10. What gets you weak in the knees?
If you blindfold me and have a guy with great vocals sing, I will shake and drop flat. I’m a sucker for good vocals.
11. Who is your worst crush ever?
12. What is the shortest time you dated?
Two disastrous weeks of trying to mix water and oil. It was a statistic, not even a relationship.
13. What is the most honest thing you have ever told a fan.
“No sir. Not even any time tonight.” It was a political song at the height of the political tensions.
14. What is the best gift you have received from an event or fan?
I treasure a Rastafarian shawl a fan gave me at a reggae concert. Simple honest things sweep me.
15. What is your choice destination for a romantic escapade?
Those clean beaches of Diani. You can do a lot there, let loose, if you know what I am saying.
16. How did you make your first shilling?
My cousin bought my silence after he sneaked out to play yet he was grounded. I was Sh5 richer at only five years and I’ve never looked back since (laughs).
17. What is the worst lie you ever told your parents?
(Laughs) That was too recent so we’ll have to let that wait… I beg.
18. Have you ever caught a boyfriend cheating on you?
Long story. Let’s just say, I was nice.