A distraught widow on Thursday sought justice inside the final resting place of her slain husband following the release of the main suspect from police custody.

Mary Wangari, the wife of the deceased Edward Mwangi, staged a protest inside her dead husband’s grave at Wanyororo cemetery in Bahati, Nakuru County.

She led a group of relatives and friends in demanding the arrest of the suspect before the burial could proceed.

Ms Wangari and the deceased’s brother jumped into the grave while the preacher was still giving his sermon. They demanded that the remains of the deceased be returned to the morgue until justice was served.

The burial service came to a standstill for over two hours amid protests from the deceased’s parents and brothers who live in Kirinyaga.“Those from Kirinyaga don’t know the pain we are going through. We want justice for Mwangi. Burying him while his murderer is walking free is denying justice to the immediate family of the deceased,” said Charles Mucheru, a cousin to the deceased.

Efforts by Dundori Member of County Assembly Michael Chege to calm them down proved futile as the protesters held their ground.

“We will not allow the funeral to take place until we get an explanation why the main suspect was released,” said the widow.

At about half past two, the deceased’s father Daniel Mwea lost his cool and ordered his other relatives to carry the casket to the grave and have his son buried by force.

A fistfight broke out as strong men forced Mwangi’s wife, his cousin and brother out of the grave.“He is my son and he will be buried. Today! Get them out and lower the casket,” he ordered as they were whisked away.

After order was restored the deceased was hurriedly buried with the father leading in songs but wasn’t joined by the residents who disapproved the act. No prayers were conducted.

The deceased was murdered on the night of December 3 and his body found the following day on a farm next to his suspected killer’s home.

He is said to have engaged in a scuffle with the suspect after learning that his lover, with whom they have a ten-year-old child, was in the suspect’s house.

“Mwangi and two of his friends went to the suspect’s house at night, one of them armed with a knife. They attacked the suspect who overpowered them and snatched the weapon. Two of them were forced to flee for their safety,” said a resident who sought anonymity.

Mwangi was, however, left behind and it is alleged, the suspect used the same knife to stab him eight times on the chest.

The deceased’s cousin said he accompanied police officers from Kiugoini police station to the scene where the suspect identified as Stephen Mwangi showed up with the murder weapon and admitted to committing the crime.

Mr Mwangi’s family claims the suspect was released the same day. Mary Wangari further claimed that she was denied an OB number.