Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has denied having any links with assault suspects who attacked a businessman at Hotel Boulevard in Nairobi last week.

According to the County boss, the alleged links with the five men are just hearsay. This despite the emergence of incriminating pictures showing Sonko with the assault suspects at a past wedding.


“Hearsay is not admissible in court and I will not allow anyone to tarnish my good name. Mr Muriuki is my friend and I have never had any differences with him,” Sonko stated.

Explaining the photographs that were shared on lawyer Ahmednasir Abdullahi’s Twitter page, Sonko said they were taken when they attended the wedding of the daughter of KANU secretary general, Nick Salat.

“I accept I was with them in a wedding as shown in the photo, but that was way back before they attacked the businessmen and I cannot be associated with them just because we were in the same event,” Sonko said.

Sonko further called on the police to arrest the five men who were captured on camera assaulting Mr Muriuki.

Four suspects were arrested on Tuesday, including member of the East African Legislative Assembly (EALA) Simon Mbugua. Mbugua, alongside Antony Otieno Ombok alias Jamal, and Benjamin Odhiambo alias Odhis, were charged on Wednesday with robbery with violence.