Nyeri county yesterday lost its second governor in just one year, after Dr. Wahome Gakuru succumbed to injuries following a freak road accident along the Thika – Murang’a Highway.
Dr. Gakuru died at the Thika Level 5 Hospital where he had been rushed. His body was later transferred to Lee Funeral Home, where top national and county leaders had been waiting all morning. Deputy President William Ruto was the highest ranking government official to visit Lee alongside Majority Leader Aden Duale, Cabinet Secretaries Joe Mucheru and James Macharia, Governors of Kiambu, Murang’a, Nairobi and Kirinyaga counties.
Dr. Gakuru has had a very decorated career as a lecturer and in several public service positions. Here are 10 things you might not have known about him.
1. He was a lecturer at the School of Business, University of Nairobi since 1994 where he taught to the PhD Level. Gakuru had vast consultancy experience, including presenting papers in international conferences, on Strategy, Public Policy, and National Competitiveness in Africa and beyond.
2. He got an award for being the most supportive lecturer by Marketing Student Association (UON).
3. He was the Director of Marketing, Policy and Advocacy at Equity Bank from 2008-2010.
4. He was the first Director of the Kenya Vision 2030 at the Presidency and Cabinet Affairs Office and later at the Ministry of State for Planning, National Development and Vision 2030.
5. He had 2 Masters and a PhD from Arizona State University, USA, a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from Willamette University, USA majoring in strategy, MBA from the University of Nairobi, Kenya majoring in Marketing and a Bachelor of Commerce (Honors) from University of Nairobi.
6. He was also the Director, Social Sector Department at the National Economic and Social Council (NESC) and the Head of Strategy Development at the National AIDS Control Council.
7. He facilitated a lot of programs in his time including HIV/AIDS for Centre for African Family Studies (CAFS) and managerial skills for Ministry of Agriculture.
8. He was the facilitator on Strategic Management issues for the EU Delegation to Kenya and Somalia, November 2004.
9. He served in an advisory capacity in significant institutions such as KCA as a member the University Governing Council, Diabetes Management and Information Centre, the Advisory Council of the African Competitiveness Forum, The Competitiveness Institute, among others.
10. The late Wahome contested under a TNA ticket for the Governship of Nyeri County in 2013 losing to the late Nderitu Gachagua and finally won the seat in 2017 by a bigger margin.
Courtesy Citizen TV