The main suspect in Moi Girls School inferno was on Wednesday arraigned in Court and accused of murder and arson.
The student appeared before Children’s Court magistrate Teresia Nyangena, who directed that she be detained for seven days. This will allow detectives to complete investigations.
She will be detained at the Kilimani Police station.
The suspect’s lawyer had opposed the move by the prosecution team to detain the suspect arguing that decision to lock up the defendant was inconsiderate and inconsistent with court procedures.
But the prosecution argued that she was in great danger from members of the public.
The student is said to have attempted to commit suicide more than once previously before she resorted to setting their dormitory on fire on Saturday morning.
A senior police officer involved in the investigation said detectives had established that in one instance, the student had unsuccessfully attempted to kill herself by swallowing a detergent.
Detectives are also keen to establish from the girl’s parents on her background and what could have led her to commit arson, with an initial report the school gave to police showing she had challenges in school where her parents were often called to solve.
It has been established that the suspect kept on threatening to cause harm after her parents refused to transfer her from the school.
She reached her breaking point when she tried to commit suicide after being suspended over indiscipline.
Evidence indicates the girl set her bed on fire first before it spread and eventually destroyed the entire dormitory housing more than 300 Form One students.