Nairobi County Police Commander Japhet Koome has rubbished widespread reports of Mungiki attacks in Mathare, Lucky Summer and Dandora on Sunday night as a false alarm.
He said the reports, contained in videos, texts, photos and Facebook live posts, were fabricated to cause panic and incite the public.
The police boss said a manhunt has been launched for a banker suspected to have circulated the videos alleging the presence of Mungiki sect members dressed in police uniform.
“The only people who were on patrol at night were police and since we have heightened security in all estates in the city, we had very few incidents of crime. The city was actually very peaceful,” said Mr Koome during a press briefing yesterday.
Koome also dispelled claims that the military had been deployed to disperse demonstrators.
“I am in charge and I know who I am working with. The officers are well equipped and trained to handle the situation. We have not reached to the level of needing the military,” Mr Koome said.
He also noted that several people had been arrested and others were being sought in connection to the “false and alarming information”.