All is not well at SK Macharia’s Royal Media Services.
On Wednesday this week, Group Managing Director Wachira Waruru sent a memo to all staff informing them of looming layoffs.
Wachira said that developments within the broadcasting industry over the past two years have adversely affected their business environment, and hence a reduction in workforce is necessary.
Here’s the memo.
According to reports, up to 100 Royal Media employees will lose their jobs. The first batch consists of some very well known faces, among them business news anchor Terryanne Chebet and morning presenter Kirigo Ng’arua.
Here’s the full list of sacked employees as seen by Kenyans.co.ke.
|List of Sacked Royal Media Services Employees|
|1. Terryanne Chebet – News Anchor
2. Kirigo Ng’arua – News Anchor
3. Jemima Mungai – Editor
4. Mercy Oburu – Editor
5. Abdi Osman – Editor
6. Mathangani Mwenda – Editor
7. Shisia Wasilwa – Editor Citizen TV
8. Victor Kenani – Citizen TV reporter
9. Anunda Sakwa – Radio Presenter
10. Elizabeth Omolo – Radio Presenter
11. John Marete – Head of Camera
12. Beatrice Njoki – Camera
13. Brian Okutoyi – Creative
14. Philip Muruttu – Radio Reporter
15. Nasteha Mohammed – Radio Reporter
16. Young – Editor Radio department
17. Moses Kuria – Camera
18. Beatrice Kariuki – Camera
19. Dominic Njiru – Camera
20. Anthony Kamau – Camera
21. Shelmith Wanjiru – Transmission
22. Bosco Baya – Transmission
23. Anthony Mugambi – Transmission
24. Cyrus Njiru – Head of Technical
25. Alex Makarau
26. Agao Patrobas
27. Crispin Njogu
28. Gladys Kigo
29. Paul Ngandu
30. Emily BV
31. Leah Ngari
32. Gichuru Makena
33. Maureen Murimi – Digital
34. Nganju – Technician
According to unconfirmed reports, part of the reasons RMS fired Terryanne Chebet is her high salary. The company has been on a cost-cutting mission and the business anchor’s salary was seen as high enough to pay more than 5 people.
Also according to the rumours, Terryanne’s workrate was not very impressive.
Kirigo Ngarua was reportedly sacked for low ratings. She hosted the morning show with Willis Raburu (who still has his job), but was seen as lacking the latter’s energy. She was also earning a colossal salary making her a prime target for cost-cutting.