kile1The top floor of a house in Kileleshwa estate, Nairobi, caught fire on Wednesday after a mobile phone power bank reportedly exploded.

The fire which started at 3am took more than one hour to contain by firefighters.

“The house owner’s son had left his power bank charging and it set fire to curtains. We tried to fight the fire but it got out of control,” said a neighbour.

A security guard identified as Simon Mwangi said the blaze sparked panic forcing residents near the building to be evacuated.

“Some residents left their houses and went to spend the night elsewhere,” said Mr Mwangi

The owner of the house, Mr Nurdiw Hajji, refused to comment.

kileleshwa

kile