methanolTragedy struck Longewan Secondary School after a group of students broke into their school’s laboratory and drank methanol.

A form four girl lost her life while another was admitted at the Samburu County Referral hospital.

The group of five boys and three girls broke into the laboratory on Sunday and stole the substance, mistaking it for a harmless alcoholic drink.

Samburu Central OCPD Abagoro Guyo confirmed the incident saying, “Eight students, five boys and three girls took the chemical. Some took it dry while others diluted it with soda.”

Rajab Saddam, a doctor at Samburu County Referral Hospital in Maralal town, said the 17-year-old student was admitted in critical condition.

“She cannot talk or open her eyes but her sleeping position shows she has severe abdominal pains,” said Rajab.

“We are running fluids as we continue to monitor her situation. The irony with methanol poisoning is that you need to treat it with absolute vodka which is an antidote that is pure alcohol which is being purchased as we speak.”

He added that the vodka is needed to unbind the methanol from the patient’s system to save her eyes, liver and kidney from failure.

The other six students were rushed to Suguta health facility where they were treated and discharged.

The body of the deceased taken to Samburu County Referral Hospital mortuary by police.