Viazi Karai is a favourite from the coastal community. It is sold at almost every street corner in Mombasa, and the trend is picking up in various cities and towns around the country.
Most people tend to think Viazi Karai and Bhajia are one and the same thing, but there are some major differences.
Viazi karai, unlike bhajia, are first boiled. They are also coated with batter that has all purpose wheat flour.
Here’s how to make a delicious meal of Viazi Karai at home.
1 Cup of flour
1/2 tsp of Salt
1/2 tsp of food colour
A pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Oil for frying
Fresh Coriander (Dhania)
1/2 cup of water
1. Bring water to a boil in a cooking pot and put in your washed potatoes. Boil for 10-15 minutes or until they are done.
2. Once your potatoes have boiled, rinse or soak them with cold water to cool them down.
3. Once they have cooled, peel the skin and dice them.
4. Pour your flour in a bowl and add the salt, pepper and food colouring.
5. Pour water into the flour and mix to make a thick paste.
6. Heat up oil in a pan, and while you do that, cover your potatoes with the mixture as you add the dhania.
7. Now put your potatoes into the pan and fry until they are crispy.
8. Let them cool a bit and serve.
Here’s a video from start to finish.