A position previously held by Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Cruise now belongs to Robert Downey Jr.
The “Iron Man” star is at the top of Forbes magazine’s list of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood, having earned an estimated $75 million between June 2012 and June 2013.
That’s not too surprising, considering the actor’s hinted that he was paid $50 million to join Joss Whedon’s mega-success, “The Avengers.” That superhero ensemble movie went on to make $1.5 billion worldwide, and is the third highest-grossing movie of all time.
Downey’s “Iron Man 3” is also one of the biggest box office hits ever, as it has pulled in $1.2 billion globally since it opened in May.
Right behind Downey on Forbes’ list is Channing Tatum, who earned an estimated $60 million between June 2012 and June 2013. The busy 33-year-old actor and new dad shrewdly self-financed last summer’s male stripper dramedy, “Magic Mike,” with director Steven Soderbergh, meaning they didn’t have to share profits with studio execs. “Magic Mike” has gone on to gross $167 million worldwide, while Tatum’s other 2012 hit, “21 Jump Street,” earned $201 million.
In third place on the highest-paid actors list is Hugh Jackman, who made an estimated $55 million last year. Following Jackman is Mark Wahlberg, who brought in $52 million, and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, who is in fifth place with $46 million earned.
Forbes spoke with agents, managers, producers and other sources to gain insight into the estimated earnings of Hollywood actors. The amount reflected doesn’t include deductions for taxes, agent fees, or the like.
1. Robert Downey Jr – $75million (Iron Man)
2. Channing Tatun – $60million (Magic Mike, White House Down)
3. Hugh Jackman – $55million (Les Miserables, X-Men)
4. Mark Wahlberg – $52 million (Ted)
5. Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson – $42million (Fast & Furious)
6. Leonardo DiCaprio – $39million (Great Gatsby)
7. Adam Sandler – $37million (Hotel Transylvania)
8. Tom Cruise – $35million (Jack Reacher)
9. Denzel Washington – $33 (Flight)
10. Liam Neeson – $32million (Taken 2, The Grey)